Monday, August 27, 2007

The start of training

So, as promised, I will start talking about training, and stop talking about trying to get PQ'd, since that should be done by now.

I flew to Salt Lake City, UT on my birthday, July 8th. My flight left at about 1330 (1:30 pm to those who don't know military time. I will use mostly military time in this blog, since that's what I generally use for my time-keeping devices), but because Chris was nervous about getting to the airport in time, we left at 0800, and got there around 0930, even with a brief stop at my house to pick up some things. We got breakfast, and I worried and cried some more, and finally got on my plane at around noon.

The plane left on time (shock!) and I don't really remember most of it, except that I had a layover in Atlanta for a while, during which I read, and that I wanted so much to see the Rockies and their snowcaps (like my mom had told me about), but it was cloudy and my contacts were fuzzy from all the crying I had done earlier.

When I landed in SLC, I met up with 4 of the guys I would be training with, and we headed to the hotel. Once we got there, the people already there were about to head for dinner so we all ran up to our rooms to drop off our bags and go for dinner. I took out my contacts to clean them.

We went downtown to a place called the Gateway, which was built for the Olympics when they were in Salt Lake City a few years ago. It's a nice little mall-ish area with a bunch of restaurants and stores. Down on the street level, there is a fountain that has small jets of water that shoot up randomly. Every half hour, it plays a song (like at 2030, it plays the Salt Lake City Olympic theme, and at 2100, it plays God Bless America).

This is what the fountain looks like from the second level...


And that pretty much ended day 0.5. More to come...

No comments: