Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day off? Not really...

Though I shouldn't complain too much. I did get to sleep in till 11 this morning, and I will only have to go into work for a few hours tonight. Maybe. If the C-17 gets off the ground. Currently it's supposed to be off-deck at 5pm, which gets it here by 10pm. So I should be only needed from about 7:30 till about midnight. AND I do get to sleep in tomorrow. So it's not a big deal.

Last night I went with Major Rose (ANG nurse) to Scott Base, where she shopped and then we went to the lounge to hang out. I got to see a bunch of ANG guys (and one Kiwi builder) do a Shot-Ski (pictures forthcoming), and met a cool guy from Alaska who's down here to shovel snow for one of the science teams. I got back not too late, went to bed and stayed up till about midnight watching TV. We walked the 1.5 miles there, a lot of uphill travel, against the wind. But it was good to get out and exercise, which I haven't been able to do for a while because of the snow. It also help clear out my sinuses a bit, which was also very good. I was able to get pictures of the signs on the Scott Base Road, which I had been wanting to do. Now all I have to do is go out to Castle Rock, and climb Ob Hill. I have 5 weeks to accomplish this.


Yesterday I also went to the clinic to get some stronger decongestants than the Tylenol Cold I've been taking. They gave me REAL sudafed. This makes me happy. I took the first one today (didn't want to take any before bed), and I can already feel things drying out. It is good.

I had planned on going to Burger Bar tonight with Major Rose, but there is no Burger Bar again tonight due to flu. Very sad. She leaves on the 29th of January, and I want to make sure she gets Burger Bar before she leaves.

Any way, not much more going on around here. There are a lot of trucks on the road, with everyone getting ready for the vessels, which come in a few weeks. They are moving all the mill vans with the trash and other stuff down to the Ice Pier. The trucks they use for the moving are from the 50's, and this is all they are used for. It's strange to see the normally empty road to Hut Point filled with mill vans. Sad too. Ruins the pictures.

No comments: