Sunday, January 20, 2008

Not much of note

And for that I apologize. There just hasn't been much newsworthy info to write about these days. I did get out of work early yesterday, as repayment for coming in on my K day, and helped Major Rose download iTunes and get her iPod situation straightened out, but then I went home and popped in a movie, had some popcorn and hot chocolate, and went to bed. I woke up around 2am, coughing my fool head off, but a bit of water calmed things down. I'm still slightly congested, but things are much much better than before.

I slept in a good bit, so I'm feeling pretty well rested. I dusted and vacuumed my room this morning, and laundry is in the process of being done. Laundry is irritating these days, since somehow the water lines have gotten a little screwy, so when I push the button for cold wash, hot water comes out. If I push the button for a hot wash, cold water comes out, but it rinses in hot water. I'm just hoping it doesn't fade out or shrink my clothes. I also got to the post office to send out the last of the gifts that are being sent out. Later this week, I'll send out a box of odds and ends and clothes, and then the last box will be sent out next week, which is the last week to send stuff out. It's kind of hard to figure out what I should send, since I don't leave for another month. But I'd like to fly from here to NZ with just a couple of sweatshirts and T-shirts, and my uniform stuff. Once I'm in NZ, I'll send home all my uniform stuff, fire stuff, station boots, winter clothes, and sneakers, and basically keep a pair of hiking socks, my jeans, a few T-shirts (both long and short sleeved) and a sweatshirt, and my hiking boots and some other sundry items. Everything else will be sent home, so I can live out of a backpack, or one small duffel bag, since the large red one will be sent home. I may wait a few days so I can send home the gifts and stuff I get while I'm in NZ, but that'll depend on if I get a backpack or not.

I figure that there isn't much I'd like to do in NZ if I'm by myself. I'd like to go on a day hike somewhere...maybe just for a few hours hike a few kilometers to get some nature. I might try to find a beach to lay on for an afternoon if it's close enough. Someone told me about a 12 hour train-ride that takes you all through the mountains, which might be very cool, depending on how much it costs. Other than that, I plan to veg-out for a few days, watching the giant chess board, and the buskers in Cathedral Square. Of course, these plans might change.

30 days left here. I think I'll climb Ob Hill this week, now that I'm feeling better, and providing that no bad weather comes roaring in. Tonight I'm going out to Hut Point with Rose to look for whales. One of the other firefighters said he saw about 42 spouts the other day.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hey Jennifer,
Can't believe you will be leaving in a month. The time went fast. Seems like you just left.

Hope you see lots of whales.

Love Mom