Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Of flight dates and commercials

Well, after a lovely round of email tag with the redeployment people (which is still on-going, as I have another question), barring bad weather or an over-booked flight, I will be leaving here on February 21st, and I should be in DC sometime on February 25th. I have to clarify that if my flight gets bumped a day or 2 I will still stay 4 nights in NZ (about the time I figure I need to get done what I want to get done), or if the 2/25 date is the concrete one. Stay tuned...I know you are all waiting with bated breath.

One of the guys at the firehouse has TiVo, and he has the special thingy that allows him to watch actual TV on his computer. Yes...that's right. He gets real TV, with commercials. So last night I was watching Mythbusters over his shoulder, and we were ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the commercials we haven't seen yet. There sure are a lot of them. You don't realize how often they rotate commercials till you haven't seen any for 5 months.

This important finding means that he will be recording the Super Bowl, including commercials, so we can watch them. The bonus of it being on his laptop means that it can be connected to the projector in the training room and watched on a large screen. We are very excited.

There were emperor penguins at Pegasus runway yesterday. No, I don't have pictures because A) they were 1000 feet off of the far end of the runway and B) I wasn't there. No, I was offered to switch with Cassidy, but I decided to be responsible and stay in town to work on my secondary duties (pre-planning buildings). Granted, some small bit of headway was made in this adventure with Visio, but I would have rather been out seeing penguins. On the other hand, no one really got any good pictures cause they were so far away. Not to mention that they are molting, which means they just kind of hang out for a few weeks while their new feathers grow in. So I have a bit of time, provided I can get close enough for a picture. I really want to see an emperor.

Today I spent the whole morning in the clinic fixing Major Rose's computer so it would play music. See, she plugged her iPod into her computer (which didn't have iTunes) thus erasing everything on her iPod. I gave her a bunch of my music, but it didn't organize quite right, so she couldn't access any of it. So I fixed all that for her, and then showed her how to use Windows Movie Maker. She is excited. Tonight is Burger Bar, and then I think I might go up to the greenhouse for a little smell therapy. It's so nice being in someplace warm and humid and smelly (of something other than diesel, that is). It smells of dirt and green things, and is lovely and warm and has a hammock. I'm thinking that will be my evening destination tonight. We'll see.

The fuel tanker is getting close. It's supposed to dock Friday or Saturday. I hope it docks Friday, since I'll be off work, so I can do the line handling thing and actually see a ship dock. The freighter is due in next weekend. Then we will have 2 weeks with no bars and no Burger Bar while the NavChaps are in town off-loading. I have heard horror stories, but some say they aren't too bad. We shall see.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Hey Jennifer, Well I guess that settles the thought of a visit to NZ. Oh well, it was a good idea but I guess just not ment to be. We'll have to plan a trip together later. Maybe in September to Atlantis. Think about it.
Did you ever get to climb Ob Hill? Get lots of pictures?
Hope you get to see Emperor penquins. I know you really wanted to see them. Do they look different when they are molting? I can't imagine that they would loose all their feathers. They need them to help to keep warm. Let me know.
What/who are NavChaps? What kind of horror stories did you hear? I hope nothing dangerous.
I think I am fighting a cold. Darn that Bill. He had one.
We are suppose to get some more snow tomorrow. Not much, maybe an inch or two. I hate snow. It is nothing but a bad, bad 4 letter word.
Anyway, be careful. Look for Emperors and take lots of pictures.

Love Mom

Mom said...

Oh, by the way, when is the first sunset? Will you get to see it?

Mom

Melissa said...

I just saw a commercial for Atlantis....with all the water slides! I want to go! I need a vacation!

Dont worry about New Zealand....If Rob ever has to take a job for a few years in a different country I told him to pick Australia. Colgate has people go there. So you can all come out and visit then! Not that I want to leave for a few years....but just an idea:)