Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Just call me Lauren Bacall

Well, the cold/allergy attack/whatever it is has truly taken hold in my sinuses. It's not as bad as it was yesterday, when I was definately walking around looking like one of those drugged up zombies. Thankfully, my nose is now running like a faucet, and the meds I'm taking are having a decent effect. I'm still coughing though, and currently it's that painful deep chest cough. It should go away by Saturday, I hope. I doubt my voice will be back by then though.

Sadly, we have a ton of people out sick. 2 people on my shift are in quarantine, and one is out with a bad back. The flu is closing in on epidemic proportions down here right now, with both Flu A and Flu B making the rounds. The clinic reported 9 new cases of flu yesterday alone, and the galley is down 11 people as of 3pm yesterday.

So because we're so short on people, I will have to come in tomorrow to cover for the Pegasus flight. Currently, the C-17 is broken, so the earliest they will be off-deck is 1pm tomorrow, if they get off-deck at all. I'm hoping they don't so I can have my full day off, and be able to fully get better.

It didn't help that I had to be up till 2am this morning. We had a medical call last night and the person involved will be getting a medevac home. The patient had to stay over night in the hospital, and because the medical staff here is on a town schedule, they had to have one of us stay to baby-sit the patient. I drew the midnight to 2am shift. Not so bad, but I could have used more sleep.

And now, because I finally remembered to write it down, and because I'm slightly obsessed withe volcanos, here is the link to the Mt Erebus website. It has some streaming video of some eruptions....

MEVO - Mt. Erebus Volcano Observatory

2 comments:

Mom said...

Watch that cough or they will be sending you home for disturbing the peace.

Leslie said...

Hi Jen, Sorry you caught the nasty cold! Drink, drink, drink (and I don't mean alcohol unless it's in a hot toddy to go to bed :) Such a bummer! Especially with so many others sick. You're bound to catch something else since your resistance is down . . . Wash your hands!!! Alot!!! And cough into your elbow. That's what they tell the little kids in school :D Well, take care. I want to go view that volcano website you posted.
Love, Leslie