Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve, Redux

Well, to continue on about my Christmas Eve down here in Antarctica...

Dinner was terrific. I ate myself stupid on crab legs, though I did include a nice big salad with carrots, cucumbers and oil and balsamic vinegar, duchess potatoes, asparagus, shrimp, and a small piece of Beef Wellington with gravy. I eschewed completely the bread and even dessert, as those would have taken space away from the crab legs. The neat part was that they sliced all the crab legs long-wise, so the meat was visible and easy to remove.

After dinner I headed over to the firehouse to meet up with one of the A-shift guys who had a fix for me to play Worms on my computer. I took care of that, and played a bit just to make sure it worked. Then I went to the bowling alley to meet my shift.

We had the whole bowling alley to ourselves for 3 hours, and did cosmic bowling. I got there late so I didn't bowl much, except when one of the guys asked me to bowl for him. I got a spare. It was a lot of fun, with loud music, singing, laughing and bowling. Sadly, my camera ran out of batteries, so I couldn't take any pictures.

After bowling, we went to the bar for the dance party. It took a while for people to get there, but I had fun watching people play shuffleboard, foosball, and dancing. At 11:15pm, a couple of us headed to the chapel for a Christmas Eve carol sing. It was really nice, something like what some of the churches I went to in NJ had for Christmas Eve. The choir sang a bit, and there were some readings from the Christmas Story, and then everyone sang. It was really nice.

After that I went home. I finished my laundry, and cleaned up my room a bit. I changed the sheets to the new ones I got from Mom, and got everything all nice and prettied up. Then I stayed up and played a bit of Worms and watched football before going to bed at 1am.

Today is our Christmas party for the fire dept. I didn't have to be to work till 11am, and tonight we're having spaghetti and meatballs and sausage (among other things, I'm sure), and our Secret Santa gift exchange. Before that, my LT is taking some of us to see the big trucks, so I can take pictures for Chris. All in all a quiet day. Tomorrow I'll have off, and shift change is back to the normal 8am time.

Merry Christmas to all!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Merry Christmas Fer Fer! We had a very nice day. Kevin got up at around 6:30am but played in his crib for about an hour. He has been doing that more and more lately. We got him around 7:30 and took him down to open his gifts from Santa.

He really didnt care to much for the toys. He enjoyed opening them slowly but only to get the wrapping paper and bows....then walked away happily flinging it in the air. It was cute. He didnt play with his toys a little.
Yes...he is walking now...he isnt to great at it but getting better. He must have been tired because he slept today from 10:30 to 1:30. We skipped his afternoon nap and went to Rob's brothers for dinner around 3:30.

Kevin met a little girl there who was 13 months. He kept touching her face which i thought was really cute....until he proceeded to smack her about 3 times in a row!! After that she pretty much ignored him. I cant say I blame her.

We went home at about 7. Kevin was exhausted. But we had a nice day!

My hands and fingers are sore from opening all those toys....the packaging on them is ridiculous!

Kevin still has about 5 toys still left to open. It was all just to much for him today.

Well Im off to bed! Sounds like you had a nice xmas! See you soon!

Melissa

Melissa said...

PS: I wish I had crab legs for dinner! Thats awesome!!