Saturday, February 16, 2008

Last post from the Ice?

This will most likely be my last post from Antarctica. I leave on Tuesday, most probably around noon, local time. This is good, since it means I'll be in Christchurch by dinner time. Today is my last day of work. I bag drag tomorrow at 1430. This poses a slight problem since I have a lot of laundry to do before that, and I haven't started packing AT ALL. And while we are sitting fat with people at station 1 today (Station 2 closed this morning, so there are an extra 6 people here today), the probability of me going home tonight is slim, since I was sent home on Friday night.

Thankfully, I don't have a whole lot of stuff to pack, and most of it will be fairly easy. I just hope that the washing machines and dryers are free tomorrow.

I've been getting increasingly antsy to get home over the past few weeks, and yet, as the time to leave gets closer and closer, I'm sad. I was sitting at Pegasus the other day and realized that I wouldn't see the Royal Society Range or Mt Discovery any more. No more stunning views of ice fields, purple and white mountains, and the plume coming off of Mt Erebus. No more interesting clouds formations, or 24 hours of sunlight (when it's not cloudy, that is). Yes, I will definately miss it here.

But I'm also looking forward to laying on a beach for 2 days, not having to bundle up to go get dinner, and eating food that hasn't been frozen for 3 years.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness, Jennie. I was wondering if you had left already or not. I'm so glad you had this experience. You will have many memories for the rest of your life. And I'm sure the friends you made there will be "life long." Have a wonderful time in New Zealand!!! Take lots of pictures and enjoy :D

Can't wait to hear first hand about your adventures. Love, Leslie

Anonymous said...

Well Chick, it's over and you are heading home. I'm glad you are going to get some down time in NZ. Enjoy the beach. Soak up lots of nice warm sun for me because I am FREEZING (as always).

See you when you get back.

Love Mom

Mom said...

Okay so 1 more day down there. Keep your chin up. You will get off eventually. You may have to rearrange your plans some but look at the wonderful experiences you have had over the last 5 months or so.

Call me when you are leaving.

Love Mom