Friday, February 1, 2008

Wow...It's February!!!

I can't believe it's February already. It seems like just last week I was looking at my countdown clock and it said 40 something days. Now it's saying just 18 days and 9 hours. Amazing. The closer time gets, the more I want to leave.

Plans for New Zealand are getting finalized. I changed things a bit so that I'm not staying the whole time in Christchurch. I'll be spending one day in Christchurch, and then heading north to stay with a firefighter friend and his family in a little town near Nelson, which is at the north end of the south island. Providing my time-table doesn't get screwed up by weather, that means that Friday is Christchurch day, and I will leave for Nelson either Friday night or Saturday morning on the bus. Ian will pick me up in Nelson, and show me the firehouse, where there are 4 new trucks to look at and take pictures of. Saturday and most of Sunday will be spent there, where there will be a beach, and a beach BBQ (YUM!! I hear Kiwi BBQ's are really good!) Sunday afternoon I will take the ferry across the bay to Wellington (on the north island) where I will spend the night, and perhaps visit with Lizzie and her husband who live there. Monday I leave Wellington and head home, via Auckland and LA, and various other stops.

That's the plan as of now, at least. I've arranged things with the travel office, so now it'll be a matter of buying the bus ticket. When I checked the bus schedules, they said there was a bus that left Christchurch around 5pm, and got to Nelson a little after 9pm. All for $23 Kiwi. Not bad. I love public transportation. Not sure how I'll get from Ian's to Picton (where the ferry is), but I assume I can take a bus there as well.

In other news, I got called in to work on my very last K day yesterday. Only for a few hours, but it did ruin my evening plans a bit. Oh well, such is life, right? My schedule has been pretty good, so I can't really complain too much. Plus, right now, all a Kelly day does is make the days that much longer, since I'm not doing anything. And there are only 8 shifts to go, and they are going to fly because most of the time I'm either at Pegasus or Station 2. I think there are only 3 days I am scheduled to stay at Station 1 all day, and that is subject to change. There is also talk of them closing the South Pole early due to the weather (the Hercs won't fly below a certain temperature, and as of yesterday, they were only about 4 or 5 degrees away from that temp. That means that the Hercs would leave here sooner, which means we could leave sooner. That would be nice.

But I'm not holding my breath. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, I'm getting antsy to leave.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Wow is right. It's almost over. I know what you mean about getting anxious to be home the closer it gets. I get the same way even when I am on vacation.

Did you ever get out to the air field to see the Empire Penquins. I hope you get to see them before you leave.

Hang in there.......it's almost over and then it will become a distant memory when you are back to work every day. No more kelly days for you,