Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Day 6: Monday, Night Burns

Monday morning we got to get some extra training time on the trucks, which was really nice of them. I got to drive some more, and had the quickest knockdown time of the day.

By the way, this is what the controls for the turret look like.
After that, we got lunch, and most of us took a nap before our night burn.

This was the best. After our class picture, we all got our stuff together and got our assignments for the burn. On the first one, I got to be the driver. IT didn't go the greatest, but keep in mind, I've never operated a pump before, so I wasn't sure what I was doing.

Here's video of us coming in for the first burn of the night. I'm driving the truck with the flashing lights.






The second night burn, I was a member of the RIT team. In fact, they made me be in charge, though my captain helped me a lot, since the biggest scene I had ever been in charge of was an sick person.

On the last burn, I was on the engine again, and had the nozzle for the interior attack. My captain and the instructors said I did really well, so I wasn't too upset. There was a bit of confusion during it, when my captain and I came out because he was low on air. We took the hose back down, with a little help from the SAR/ladder team, and did some attack from the outside, and backed up the 2nd engine company, who was going for fire in the front cargo hatch, just under the cockpit. Then they wanted us to go back in, but they didn't hear us tell them that both our low air alarms were going off. We went and changed bottles, and were going to go back, but then they said not to worry about it. So we took our gear off and started organizing what we could to help clean up, and then they said to get back in gear cause we were going to do another scenario. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough spare air bottles to go around, so we couldn't do another one.

The one funny thing that happened was that the instructors decided to make things interesting for us by putting dummies in the road as victims. The first truck through (which would have been us, but we were told we had a 'mechanical issue') didn't see the bodies until they had run over them. While the audio (which I'm not posting because there is a lot of cussing in it) is hilarious, they never told us about the bodies in the road. Our driver saw them just in time, and slammed on the air brakes, but our captain was out of his seat belt, turning on his air bottle. He slid off the seat and had so much momentum that he hit the windshield. Luckily, we weren't going very fast, but it was fast enough to stun him. He got up, shook the cobwebs out of his head, and said "My bad, should have been wearing my seat belt."

Anyway, here's a video of the last scenario in our night burns. I took the hose up the side that had the collapsed wing, and was in the cockpit where you can see the fire from the co-pilot's window. Watch for the 'fire tornado' to the back and left of the fuselage.




No comments: