Saturday, September 1, 2007

Days 3 and 4...Scenarios!!


Although we did start the day on Wednesday by doing some more dual-line/dry chem work, since not all the groups had a chance the day before to practice with it.

Then we broke up into teams and did actual scenarios. Incident command, tower control, and 2 crash truck (engine) crews, a ladder crew and the RIT team. If I remember right, we only did 2 scenarios, one of which I was on the engine crew, and got to be on the nozzle, and one when I was on the back-up crew, and stayed outside hauling hose.

The next 2 days were like this...Scenarios for our live fire training. They give us a situation, and the incident commander tells us what he wants us to do. Thursday we did another one and I got to drive. That didn't go so well, but the instructor with me said if I had the time to work on the truck for a week, I'd know my way around it. I wasn't too upset...It's not like we're going to have these kinds of trucks down there. One of the last evolutions of the day on Thursday I was on the engine crew, and we had to go up on the overwing to get in the plane. Through some serious mis-communication, I ended up on the ground instead of going up on the wing with my crew.

If you look carefully in this picture, you can see me. I'm on the left side, obviously the shortest one...Yep, that's me!


After Wednesday, I was feeling pretty tired, so we decided to walk to a place pretty close to the hotel. Our captain came out and walked with us, and when we made like we were going to this place, he shook his head and kept walking. So we all did the same thing. For 2 miles! I was wearing my Birkenstocks, and got a huge blister on the sole of each foot...it was horrible. However, when we finally stopped, we were at a restaurant called the Red Iguana. The line was horrifically long though, so we ended up splitting up anyway. A couple of guys kept walking to the Gateway (only about another half mile or so) and some of us turned around and found a little Mexican restaurant called the Chili Verde. Great food.

There did seem to be a plethora of Mexican restaurants in Salt Lake City, mostly small ones tucked away.

But yeah...so much for the nice quiet slow early night on Wednesday night.

Thursday we went to our instructor's station on the airport. Nice station! Each crew member has their own room, the kitchen is huge, and they have a racquetball court (that they can't use anymore for insurance reasons). We sat in the engine bay and one of the instructors gave us a demo of the flashpoints of different fluids used on planes; fuel, hydraulic fluid, etc.

Here's a nifty video of what would happen if a plane with aviation gas (flashpoint of -50*F) that was leaking into a ditch, and you drove over the ditch and created a spark.





Pretty impressive, huh?

No comments: