Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Yesterday was Thursday here, so technically, I am already into Black Friday (though given the amount of people at the store yesterday, you would think yesterday had been Black Friday here!). Our trip to Cape Evans was canceled yet again due to weather (which hasn't gotten here yet), so I got to spend a quiet evening at home watching movies.

I didn't stay up till 2am to watch the Macy's Parade, so I missed the Parade this year. I saw that the weather was really good for it though.

Almost all my Christmas cards have been written out and mailed, as are the packages to those who are getting them. They should arrive before Christmas, since outgoing mail travels a lot faster than incoming mail.

Tomorrow is our 'official' Thanksgiving down here. We got the freshies in on Wednesday and I helped unload them. I have never seen so many bags of carrots, potatos, and onions in my life. I don't think they store that much at a single grocery store back home. Yesterday one of the girls on my shift cut 2 bags of carrots, and said she was told it was about 90 pounds. And we got in a heck of a lot more bags than just 2. It was really amazing how much food they use in this place. It makes you appreciate their effort that much more. I will be eating dinner with my shift, since our captain signed us up for the same seating. Before that, I will be helping in the kitchen to wash stuff, and all kinds of things.

So, while I would much rather be at home, eating turkey and watching football with my friends and family, I am thankful that I at least have email and internet access to talk to you all, and a phone with a phone card to call you all when I get the chance.

Happy Thanksgiving!

And here's my standard tourist photo, of me in front of the McMurdo sign.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Jennifer nice picture
have been spending my day off reading all your blogs from the very beginning you are a very interesting writer and I am learning alot about artarctica I never new never even new there was a life going on down there my 1st question If there is a water shortage how come you guys practice with it
2 where did scott get the wood for the cross that he made and where did the virgin Mary come from????

How come I see black in some of the pictures is that black top on top of the ice I thought that is was all water down there that was frozen and snowing all the time so everything should be white
and if the ice gets bumpy is there something to scrape the ice to make is smooth for when the planes come in? Great Pictures and the pictures you are in you look like you are enjoying it there even tho it is so cold Hope you aren't chapped anymore and are keeping the cream on

Aunt Linda said...

Hi Jen,
Thanksgiving was a little warmer but then the next day made up for it. It dropped down to 27 degrees and the wind was whipping. It has not gotten to much warmer since. I of course did not celebrate Thanksgiving. I could not bare to look across the dining room table at the empty seat that should have my husband in it. There will be no Christmas this year either. I have always hated the holidays and now they are even worse(if that could be possible) I dread them as well as each and every day.
It was Hilary's birthday and we celebrated that. On Friday we had another celebration with Melissa and Rob, Kevin. Richard came home and Chris and Aileen were there. Aunt Karen was here too. She was out visiting her in-laws and came by for a while.
Hilary passed her driving test and it is Sunday morning and she is not home. Went out last night to visit her friends and slept over.
How did you do on your driving test?
I was watching a show on Antartica. Really about the Penguins. Those poor things. It is so cold in the winter and the fathers have to sit on the egg while the mother looks for food. It gets below 78 degrees. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!!! HOW CAN ANYTHING SURVIVE THAT !!! The fathers don't eat for 4 months. When the chicks hatch the fathers hacks up this milky stuff that they have been saving in a secret pouch that is in their throat. It is saved just for the baby. GROSS!!! If the mother doesn't come back the father will leave the chick because he is starving. The mother only stays with the chick for a few months and then she leaves it behind to fend for itself. These amimals have a lot to bare!!! How the heck do they survive all that. What a life. It is amazing. I am whining cause I have to live in 31 degrees but at least my frige is full. (Somewhat full. Its not as full as it use to be.)

Love the tourist pic.
Stay warm, Love ya
AL

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome picture!