Sunday, November 4, 2007

White out at Station 2

I am out at Station 2 today. We didn't do much this morning, and we were supposed to practice driving the Nodwell, which drives like a tank with levers.
After lunch, there was a skua just sitting outside on the ice by the galley. He was just sitting here, letting the wind (which was getting much stronger) go right over him. I got some good shots, and it's easier to see him against the white ice, rather than the brown dirt up in town.


You can see the blue ice in the forefront of the picture. They cut grooves in it and drag snow over it so you have some sort of traction. The ice is blue, though I'm not really sure why. Right now, the ice is about 7 ft thick. We have to make sure there are no small rocks out here, because the sun heats up the rock and then that heat melts the ice. The fire department used to do something called 'crack spackling' which was when the firefighters would spray water onto the ice to seal up cracks. Then fleet ops would come out to smooth out the area, groove it, and drag snow into it. We don't do that anymore; fleet ops does all the spackeling now.

So the weather report was that we were supposed to get higher winds and light snow this afternoon getting slightly worse into tonight. The wind started really picking up just after lunch, but it didn't start blowing snow till around 2pm. Then it really started getting bad. At one point, I was sitting in the bubble and literally, one minute I could see the Herc sitting on the apron, about 500 yds away, the next minute I couldn't see it at all. A few minutes later I went out to the bathroom, and on the way out, I could hear the Herc that had just landed, but couldn't see it at all.

Currently, we are under Condition 1 out here, and the Tower crew is trapped until the weather improves enough to leave. I have some good video, but you can't see it. My Lt checked the wind speeds, and at one point about an hour ago, the wind was registering 104 mph on Arrival Heights, and 71 mph in town. It's blowing hard enough that it's very hard to walk, and when I tried to talk while taking a video of the blowing snow, you can't even hear my voice. It's unreal. So yeah...leftovers for dinner tonight here at the galley. I also had to leave my camera on so it could dry out and thaw from being outside in the blowing snow.

In other news, they canceled the C-17 due in here this afternoon, due to bad weather. It's a good thing...by the time they landed we were in whiteout conditions. We're wondering what they're going to do with the 2 other LC-130's who left for the Pole this morning. They boomeranged due to bad weather at the Pole, and now they can't land here. Kinda sucks, so we're not sure what will happen in that situation.

I also got a phone call today from the captain, telling me that I was being bumped from snow school on Friday. No big deal, I figure I'll get a slot later on in the season. So I emailed the woman in charge of hut guides, who needed one for Friday, and told her I would be able to do it. Then the captain calls back and says I'm back on for Friday, so I had to email her back and tell her I couldn't make it after all. Bloody schedules.

So now we're sitting in the station, watching National Treasure, and listening to the wind howling outside. It's actually quite impressive.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Hi Jennifer, how big is that bird? It looks like a sea gull is it about the same size?
Did the TV crew get to the pole yet or are they on the plane that got turned around? I have only been in white out conditions once and that was enough. I was driving and all of a sudden you could not see the road. You just prayed than no hit you. It lasted about 5 minutes but that was enough.
We changed the clocks last night. I know we gained an hour but it takes awhile to get use to it because right now it is 11:15 at night but my body thinks it is 12:15. Soooo..... off to bed I go.
Take care. Do not stray to far from the building or you'll become a snow woman.
Keep you're jacket zipped.
Love Mom

Aunt Linda said...

HI Jen,
That poor bird. She looks rather cold. Why would she be sitting there all by herself? Was she hurt?

Blue ice occurs when snow falls on a glacier, is compressed, and becomes part of a glacier that winds its way toward a body of water (river, lake, ocean, etc.). During its travels, all of the air bubbles that are trapped in the ice are squeezed out, and the size of the ice crystals increases, making it clear.

The blue color is often wrongly attributed to Rayleigh scattering. Actually, the ice is blue for the same reason water is blue. Namely, it is a result of an overtone of a OH molecular stretch in the water which absorbs light at the red end of the visible spectrum
So there... that is your science lesson for the day.

The dogs haven't gotten used to the clock change either they were bugging me to get up an hour early and eat a whole hour early. Oh and by the way... someone forgot to tell Acura that the clock change was later this year. My clock has been 1 hour back for a week now. I keep thinking something is wrong because I am never early for anything. Freaking me out!!! Anyway I guess it is my fault I need to upgrade my system. Blah!!
Off to work I go... stay warm and don't go outside. time to hibernate.
AL

Mom said...

Hey Linda, I'm impressed. I remember them telling us why the ice was blue when we were in Alaska but I forgot. Thanks!!

Jennifer, did you get your packages yet? Is it the ones I sent you?

Leslie said...

Hi Jennie, Cool bird! Funny how close you were able to get to him and he didn't even budge! Very cool! I LOVE birds! Hope you get to see more of them :D

Wow - that white out sounds scary. I can't imagine being in the air and not being able to land . . . what would they do? Fly around until it clears up?

Great information (Linda) about the blue ice! I had heard about that before but forgot (like Kathy :) Very interesting!

Jennie, you mentioned that the firefighters sprayed water onto the ice to seal up the cracks. Wouldn't the water (spray) freeze in the air? And do they have to heat the water up to keep it from freezing in the hoses? Silly questions but it's just where my mind is going as I think about how c-o-l-d it is there . . .

We're getting rain (again!) tomorrow and then it's supposed to get colder. It would probably seem like the tropics to you right now :D Wow! 104mph winds! Be careful when you're walking outside. I'd be afraid I'd get blown off the ice and into the water . . .

I watched the Today show today. They kept telling us about Ann, Matt & Al but I wasn't able to watch the whole thing (had to leave) but I taped the rest. I'll check it out tonight and see what was reported. I wonder if Ann is going to tell us how global warming is affecting the South Pole . . . Hmmmmmm. Sheesh!

My dogs are also confused by the time change. You'd think they'd understand by now (after 14 & 16 years) that this happens twice a year -- every year . . . :D Guess they're memories work as well as mine.

Well have a great day. Or is it night? Have a great time!

Love, Leslie

Unknown said...

Great phone call. enjoyed talking to you. Since this a domestic call and not a international call we can get a less expensive card per min. Cals from Denver are only a little moer than 0.03/min.
Gave your blog URL to a spec ed teacher in Towanda. He plaqns to incorporate your experiences into his class somehow. Also gave your address to a world history teacher Dont know what he will do but Antartical is certainly part of world history
POP