Saturday, October 13, 2007

Another Day in Paradise

So I didn't actually get to go bouldering last night. When I got to the cave, it was crowded, and since I prefer to do my monkey imitations (badly) alone, I left. I wandered around a bit, heading to Gallagher's (the non-smoking bar) first, since they were supposed to be having bands there. There were about 3 people in there. So I wandered over to the coffee house, figuring I would hook into the internet and upload some pictures. I got over there and met up with a woman who lives on my floor, and she got me involved in a new card game called "Screw Your Neighbor." Dead easy to learn, and while I washed out fairly early, it was fun to hang out with people in general. A bunch of them had been here last year and had some complaints about the fire dept here, and I did my best to promote a more positive view of us.

My plan for an early night was scuttled when I headed back to my dorm at 2100 to do the load of laundry I wanted to get done before today. Instead, I was up till midnight. I did get to watch the one movie I brought down with me, Happy Feet. Cute movie, but the animation wasn't what I would have expected. Still, it passed the time, so I can't complain. I also managed to get a full night's sleep, with no waking up, for 8 hours last night! WooHooo!!!

I didn't have to be in to work until noon today, so I took my time getting my stuff together and straightening up the room a bit. Sunday's they have a brunch, from 1000-1300, so I went over there. Usually, the kitchen staff do a pretty good brunch, (from what I'm told, and from what I've seen so far) and today was no exception. I had a sausage and pepper jack quiche, a piece of turkey sausage, and some watermelon. It wasn't all that sweet, but it was watermelon, so I'm not going to complain. Then it was off to work.

Today we did a drill on stretching hoseline. We have 2 300ft modified minuteman crosslays, so a lot of us haven't ever done it before. So we practiced stretching a line to the second floor of the galley building. I was on ambo 1 today, so I was just the RIT team, but it was good to see it done at least. Next weekend they're talking about another drill, only with water.

As we were leaving the drill, the ambo started making funny noises, and then just quit working. Turns out we were out of fuel in the one tank, and since it's diesel, the pump had to be re-primed. Talk about embarrassing. The driver didn't know we had 2 fuel tanks, and everyone had told him that both fuel gauges didn't work. And no one had filled up the second tank (which is what we were working off of) yesterday. So we had to wait for someone from the heavy shop to come down and show us how to prime the pump, and we were off for the fuel pumps. Still....it kinda sucked.

However, I think dinner tonight made up for it. Prime rib, nice and bloody, with potatoes and salad, and other stuff. So tasty, though as the captain said, it's kind of dumb to have your 2 best meals on the same day.

My hands are so chapped. They were getting better, having not been at work for 3 days, but one day outside not wearing gloves and they are horrible again. It looks like I have diaper rash on my right hand. The left one is slightly better, but not by much. I put some lotion on and it stung until it soaked in the rest of the way. I'm thinking I'll have to put more on in a little bit. At least my chin isn't chapped too badly this time though.

The wind has been howling all day, getting worse by the hour. I'm expecting Condition 2 in town tonight, and Condition 1 on the airfield.

Otherwise, that's been the day. Just general chores and getting stuff cleaned up in the station.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Desitin works great for rashes....maybe I'll send you some :)

I went to West Chester Pa for the day yesterday with Kevin. Rob was suppose to come but had to work instead. One of my friends from college had a 30th bday party. It was nice to see everyone but the 2 1/2 hour trip was a little rough. The way down was fine but the way home I took the Parkway express lanes not realizing NONE of the exits were on that side. So I mananged to got about 40 minutes out of my way combined going up north to the Cheesequake exit and back down south....with a screaming baby. Not my idea of fun!

But anyway....Kevin is up and we have some shopping to do for Rob's party this weekend. I hope the weather is nice. How about Condition 50. Sunny high of about 70. Thats what I figured the conditions here may work out to be :) Haha.

Love ya...stay warm....Slimy kisses from Kevin. Melissa

Mom said...

Hi Jennifer, I did not realize you were so chapped. Do you have enough hand and face cream? Do you need a scarf for your face. You need to protect your skin.
We finally got rid of all the plants on the porches. That is a job I hate. I love planting them and they look beautiful all summer but I hate dumping them in the
Fall. The porch looks so empty. It was sunny and 58 today. A bit chilly for me but it was warm in the house. Thanks to Melissa and Aunt Linda who supplied the ham bones I made a big pot of green pea soup and Aunt Linda came up for dinner. Now she is stuck in weekend traffic leaving the Pocono area.
Anyway, you sound bored down there. It seemed from your previous posting, there was plenty to do. I guess you just were not in the mood for much.
How are you feeling now? Is your throat better?
Try to send a picture of yourself.
Love Mom

Unknown said...

Hullo Gnome,

I'm Jay, u_name jaynicks since forever...

Funny about the ambo fuel -- great that you found out in only a drill!

I was going to ask what time zone you are in but, Doh!, I'm suposed to be tech . . . looking it up I found, others might like, . . .

Time&date site

It says you are seventeen hours ahead of me, near Boston. Midnight here is 5:00 PM there.


The T&D site is fun. We, near boston, seem to be 9,512 miles ESE of you -- quickest route McMurdo to Boston

I have no connection to the site (well, DSL).

It also says that you started DST time zone on Sept 30 ? ? ?

It seems whimsical to have Daylight Savings Time when the sun is up 24x7. Why is that done?

Apologies if you already covered any of this. I'm a little under the weather too, and did not read all of your just_found blog yet.

Thanks for the great effort and please keep it up as you have chance
-- and get well!

J

Wellfleet, MA, USA

Aunt Linda said...

Hi Jen,
Its almost 0400. Yes I am going to work. Very tired though, as your mom said I was stuck in traffic. It wasn't weekend traffic as thought, but rather they decided to do a little road work on one of the last nice Sundays before winter(YUCK) so the traffic was backed up all the way to the gap. Smart Pennsyltuckeins. BTW your mom's pea soup was very good but you know the old saying... What did you have for breakfast?.. Whoo hoo! Not good, not good at all!

Hey if your chapped I know where you can get lots of Jergens. Ask Bill to send some. He has a whole bottle overflowing that he got for a good price. Remember cool air will preserve but dry is not good. Use lots of moisturizer. Do not put hand lotion on your face.

Sounds like the peeps that were razzing the fire department down there may have something. Not suppose to run out of fuel on the way to a fire. Not good, not good at all. IF there WAS a fire they would be dead!! Shame shame!

The gnome on the ice sounds bored. Ya need to kick it up a knotch. Have an ice ball fight or something. How about snowmobiles. Or sould I say icemobiles.

Gotta get ready for work...leaving in a half hour. Yikes have'nt even showered yet.
Ba-bye
AL
P.S. need spell check on this blogging thing

Aunt Linda said...

forgot to say... I hope your feeling better. stay warm and use your white cotton gloves and vaseline for the chapped hands.
Love ya
AL

Mom said...

Hey Linda, what time did you finally get home? So sorry the pea soup did not stay with you long. Maybe it was the chocolate cake afterwards. Anyway, hope it has passed. Get it??????
Jennifer, I sent something to you today. Let me know when it gets there. It costs the same to send something there as it does to send it anywhere in the USA. Well, it's on it's way. The Post Office said it gets to the military within 2 days, after that who knows. Hope it gets there in one piece.
What's the weather been down there? Is it warming up? Has it reached 0 yet?

Write again soon.

Love Mom
P.S. By the way it is 2 in the afternoon here and 61 degrees.