Sunday, October 28, 2007

For future reference

I am posting this bit because it may help someone who is coming down here for the first time in the future. These are things I wish I had thought to either bring more of, or mail myself before I left home.

Extra shampoo, conditioner, soap, because I am likely to run out before I leave, and I'm not the biggest fan of the stuff they have here. Also, I should have sent myself some leave-in condition, since it would have been much easier than rinse out.

More T-shirts. It's not that huge a deal, but it would be nice to have more than 4 choices when I have days off.

More pants. One pair of jeans is just not enough. Nor is one pair of flannel pants. I should have gotten more of those.

Dryer sheets and laundry detergent. The stuff they have here is horrendous. Dry powder crap that you have to be careful lest you burn holes in your clothes. The dryer sheets are only slightly better, but combined the smell of the detergent and the dryer sheets is quite headache inducing.

More lotion. I am rapidly running out, though the stuff from Mom I got today should help in that regard.

Shower caddy. The one I have isn't bad, but it's a pain to have to dry your shower stuff before putting it back in your caddy all the time.

Stuff to put on the walls. Just like college, the walls here are vaguely off-white and totally bare. I hate bare walls and am feeling a need for posters or pictures or something. Someone want to send me the calendar under the desk at home? Or any old calendar with pictures of cute or beautiful sights (preferably those of a tropical nature...).

Extra sheets. The sheets here aren't bad, but they aren't good either. I'd be much happier with sheets from home.

Ball cap. I need a hat to wear when I'm off-duty, and can't wear my FD one.

Knit hat. See above reason.

Movies. I haven't really perused the selection here, but it would be nice to be able to watch something that isn't preprogrammed. Or is something I like, as well.

Snacks. For the rare occasion I get hungry at night, miss a meal, or when the meal is just not appetizing at all.

Drink mixes. Water gets old after a while, and the juices down here are way too sweet. The gatorade mix they have isn't bad, though orange gets old after a while. I miss Propel.

Medium weight coat. Some days Big Red is too much, but going out with the fleece only isn't enough. And it's too cold for the windbreaker I brought down, and I forgot to get one of the issued ones when I was in Cheech.

Gloves and mittens. The ones they issued me are too big (shock!) or have been used within an inch of their life. I have some being sent down, but they are sitting on a pallet in Cheech, waiting for space to open up on a plane.

Slippers. When I'm at the fire dept at night, it is nice to take your boots off and settle down. But it sucks walking across diamond plating in your socks. Down at Station 2, where you have to go outside to get to the trailer with the bathroom, it sucks having to put your boots back on. It also sucks walking around in the station down there in socks and stepping in puddles of melted snow.

I think that's it. Just some things that I'm finding I wish I had. For anyone who reads this who comes down in the future, these are some things you might think about sending yourself.

1 comment:

Aunt Linda said...

What do you think your at the Ritz? Lets face it... that ain't no luxury trip. Not gonna have all the niceties of home. Do they have stores down there that supply toiletries? All ya need for your hair is some oil for a hot oil treatment. It will keep it from drying out. Where do you have an opportunity to wear a T shirt? To cold. Hate to break it to ya but you are almost 30, girlfriend. College days are over. You are there for a mission... not to look at cute little pictures of kittens and puppies on your walls. Just kidding, Jen. I know it must be very dark and gray there. It would be nice to look at something other then ice and 112 year old dead seals. How bout I send you a picture of ME!! Ha, bet you would love that. Hard to think that you need a lighter coat. Hey it is 33 degrees here and cold. It is 0700. Can't wait for it to warm up.
AL