Sunday, October 28, 2007

First Mail!

Yesterday I participated in my first medevac.

No, I am not going into details. I really don't know them anyway, since the call itself was the shift before mine. All I know is that between waiting for medical, and then waiting for the plane (there was a holding call placed just as we were about to move the patient due to some minor maintenance for the aircraft) all told it took about 3 hours. And let me tell you, it was COLD down on that airfield! We've been having some colder weather come through, due to some air movement off the glaciers or some such thing, and it was windy and wicked cold down there. I think half my nose was completely numb by the time we were done. And I and the other 2 crew members on the ambulance got sent home early, since they needed to send a few people home, and we were the only ones who worked yesterday.

At any rate, I got my first piece of mail down here today! It was the envelope from Mom, which included a Halloween card (just in time), some chapstick, and some face lotion. Which is good, since my face was pretty stiff from windburn after just the short time on the airfield yesterday. I'm still waiting on the packages I know have been sent, but then again, so is everyone else. I heard on Saturday that the package (ie, boxed) mail was at 7 pallets, weighing in at about 20,000 pounds. I know that scientific and other equipment gets priority, and that a lot of things have been delayed because of bad weather canceling flights, but still, for morale, I hope they start sending some of that mail soon. A lot of people are getting antsy for the stuff they sent themselves in September.

With today being my day off, I decided to get some errands done. I signed up for the hut guide thing, and exchanged my Big Red with the broken zipper for a Big Red with a working zipper. Much nicer, not having to fight to zip up the coat all the time. I'm going to sign up to work at the library too.

I did get an email back about Burger Bar, but I'm not sure this is going to work. First of all, after I emailed the guy my schedule, including the fact that I had Snow School on November 9th and 10th, I got scheduled on the 9th. Ummm...sorry, can't make it. They are also having the safety class tomorrow night, which is a work night for me. Nope, that won't work either. So, I'm thinking that this won't work. Which is sad, since it would be nice to have some extra cash.

Anyway, time to go do something productive. There is volleyball tonight in the big gym, though I don't know if it's league play or just open. I might pop down there to check it out. I also want to go to the cave and get some bouldering in.

Then again, I might just go take a nap. We'll see how I feel when I get back to my room.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Hi Jennie,

It finally turned cold a few days ago. Then it rained for a few days. Then it got warm again . . . I never thought I'd be so looking forward to cold weather! However, when you said it was actually warm at -10 degrees - that was funny! When it's +20 degrees here I try not to go out! Do you have a scarf or something to put over your face? Do you have those mask things that have openings for your eyes, nose and mouth? I remember my brothers wearing those in the winter. They looked funny but sure kept their faces warm.

Sorry the Burger place doesn't look like it will work for you . . . maybe when your routine is more steady and they can put you on correctly . . . The library sounds fun, too.

Take care! Love, Leslie

Aunt Linda said...

Hi Jen,
Man...I don't know how you do it. I would die out there in that cold. Do you have a scarf to wear around your face and nose. When you were little we use to put Vaseline on your cheeks to keep them from getting chapped.

Glad you got your first medivac. How long have you been there? Has it been a month yet? After you treat your pt, do they treat you for frost bite? Make sure your nose doesn't fall off.
So maybe you can tell the Burger
Bar when you are available and see when they can put you on their schedule.
Got some bad news yesterday. My friends son who goes to Rowan College, got beat up on Saturday. He died on Sunday. He was walking home from a party and 3 guys stopped him to ask directions, then decided to beat him up so bad that they killed him. Can't even imagine. I don't think they got the guys yet.
Stay warm and safe, Jen!!!
AL