Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Let's go to the video tape!

Sorry no pictures today. Haven't really done anything interesting, though I might have some cool shots of snow sublimating. That's how a lot of the snow/ice melts down here. It is too cold for it to turn into liquid (unless it is on something that is really warm, like a building or a vehicle) but the sun warms things up to the point that the snow or ice skips the liquid phase and goes right to the gaseous state. When that happens down here, you get fog. I tried to get some pictures last night, but I don't know yet how well they turned out.

Anyway, things are buzzing a bit down here because Ann Curry of The Today Show is here with a film crew, doing stuff for a spot on the show next week. I may or may not be in it (so far I have managed to stay out of the way of the film crews) but if anyone is interested in seeing what it is like down here, real time (btw, EST of 8am is approximately 6pm here that day) tape or watch it. November 5 and 6, but I don't know what times.

I actually saw her today, in the station store. She was buying wristlets for her crew so they would stay warmer holding the mike's and the camera's up for so long. They should have all gotten a full complement of ECW gear in ChCh, so I'm not sure why they don't have gloves. Or maybe the gloves are too bulky for them to use with the cameras? Not sure. Everyone I know who's met her says she really nice. Supposedly they were going to South Pole today, but it got canceled. I hear they are going tomorrow. She also said she hates the cold. Wonder how she won this assignment then?

Anyway, that is about all the excitement going on down here. Yesterday I had class all afternoon, after sleeping and doing laundry all morning. Last night I went to the library and took out a couple books. There is also an area where they have books that people just drop off. You can just pick up whatever you want, and it's yours. I picked up The Tao of Physics in the hopes that it will allow me to understand physics a little better. We'll see.

2 comments:

Aunt Linda said...

Wow!! sounds like some good reading to me.
Not sure Ann Curry is very popular so maybe that is why she got stuck going to the ice land. She will try anthing to boost her ratings. Oh well At least they get nice wristlets, although I get the feeling they are not the kind I'm thinking about.

My friends sons wake is on Friday and the funeral is on Saturday. It is going to be very hard for me to attend both of those, but probably not as hard as it will be for her. They have posted a $50,000. reward for anyone with information on the guys that beat him up. It is also going to be on Americas most wanted. That airs on the FOX station,Saturday at 2100. I doubt you guyss get that station there but just in case you do, try to catch it. Hey ya never know. I doubt the guy will flee to Antartica but stranger things have happened. What a bunch of creeps.

Hope you had a nice Halloween and got a lot of candy. Hilary went out as a Hippie. She came to me and said "I am going to be a hippie for Halloween, do you have anything in your closet that I can wear?" The nerve!! LIke I dress like a hippie?? I think I have been insulted.

Gotta get ready for work...
Stay warm and healthy.
AL
P.S. I wish they had spell check. I have come to rely on it.

Melissa said...

I agree with my mom....Tao of Physics......BORING!! Your nuts! Dont they have James Patterson or someone like that?

I dont think I know who Ann Curry is. I mean Ive heard the name....just dont know what she looks like. I'll have to google her. Once I see her Im sure I'll recognize her.

We took Kevin out for Halloween yesterday....he was a teddy bear....and a very cute teddy bear I must say. But then again Im definetly bias.

I have to go back to work today. Only two more days. Then I have to work only Monday and Wed of next week. I have off Tues for election day and then Thurs, Fri, and Mon for conferences. Yeah!! I just dont get paid...BOO!!

Tell Ann Curry I said Hi!

Love ya, Melissa