Saturday, October 6, 2007

Landing in Antarctica


We got to McMurdo around 1400, on October 6th. It was -29F when we landed, with a wind chill of -50F. It was quite shocking when I got out of the plane. I was glad to have all the ECW gear on, including the goggles, which make it hard to see. Our shuttle driver told us that we were almost boomeranged, since about 40 minutes before we landed the wind was blowing about 95 mph. We had a debriefing, got our room keys, and then the firefighters met up with the chief to see the firehouse. We had a bit of a meeting with him, and then went to pick up our luggage, which had been taken to the post office. They were supposed to have shuttles for us, but some people who were on my flight who had been here before were in the same building as I am helped me take my luggage to my room. I am in building 201 (so if you look on a map of McMurdo, there is a line of dorm buildings…one of those is mine). I got to unpacking, and found that my shampoo had developed a pin hole and leaked all over my back. I’m thinking I might have to take that bag in the shower with me (water is pretty scarce here…evidently they’re overhauling the water system and had to take a pump off-line). I managed to clean everything else up though.

My roomie is pretty cool. She’s from Arizona, and I had met her when I overlapped with the next class in Salt Lake City. She has a ton of movies, and we have a small TV in our room with a VCR. Supposedly we’re getting DVD players in the next few weeks. The room is really small, smaller than my dorm room at college, and it’s pretty cold too. She says it’s usually not this bad, so it is likely just from the windy day today. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer. This is evidently the coldest day they’ve had in weeks.

The station store here is pretty well stocked with stuff. I have already made the list of things I’m getting for people, both here and in New Zealand. I picked up a water bottle, since I don't have mine with me and I left the one they issued us in NZ. I also picked up some stickers and other small stuff, but the big stuff I'm waiting for.

I crashed pretty hard last night. I slept pretty well, the best since leaving home. I couldn't figure out if I was too cold or too warm, so I kept waking up to kick off the covers or put some back on. Still, the room got a bit warmer, and my roomie has a cold air humidifier, so the static is lessening slightly.

11 comments:

Mom said...

Hi Jennifer, well this is the third time I am trying to post something to this thing. Hopefully 3rd time's a charm because I am getting frustrated. Anyway, I hope you are warm enough. The pictures of the ice are beautiful in a cold sort of way. The temperature down there is awful. Too cold for me. Take more pictures. Can't wait to see them.

Love Mom

Aunt Linda said...

Hi Jen,
WOW!!! Those pictures are pretty, but OMG!!! it looks like nothing but ice. Where are the trees? And how about a little wild life. I saw a program about Antarctica and it showed penguins and white birds(which I have forgotten the name of). I also saw the temperature of your iceland that you call home for the next 6 month. YOUR CRAZY WOMEN!!!!I could never take on those temperatures. Do you have hand warmers? Do you have feet warmers? How about an electric blanket? Do you know a penguin that you can snuggle up with? I am dreading our tempatures that are soon to come. The other night the temp was 52. I had my warm pj's on and my eletric blanket on high. Right now it is 9:45 in the morning and it is 73 outside and 78 inside. I am wearing shorts and bare feet. I am quite comfortable in my new kitchen sipping hot coffee. This is what I consider luxury. I would not do well sitting on and iceburg. Keep warm is all I can say!! Don't freeze. Send more pictures. Be safe. We love you and want you to come home to thaw. Love Aunt Linda

Melissa said...

Hey Fer!! I love the pictures they are breath taking! I want to see more! Glad to hear you got to the end of the earth safely! I cannot believe that you got off the plane to -29 degree weather! Thats insane....I cannt even fathom what it feels like! Even with all that warm gear you have. The weather is weird today. Cool earlier this morning, hot around noon, and it looks like its going to down pour any second.
Kevin and I just got back from Shop Rite. We are trying to stock up for Rob's 30th bday on Oct 20th. Speaking of weather...I hope its nice or we are going to have 40 some odd people in the house. Which would be crazy and a little cramped.

Kevin is crawling all over now. He is so cute. Has quite the little temper now too. Just like his mommy :) He has his two bottom teeth and one of the top is coming in. He is eating Cheerios too.

But anyway. Enjoy your stay...Im jealous that you got to see New Zealand. Im trying to get Rob to go to Austrailia for our next family vacation but for some reason I dont see that happening!

Talk to you soon. Love ya my little Fer Ferina!!

Melissa

Aunt Linda said...

YOur roomie won't be seeing any big black hairy spiders down there. Right now it is 63 degrees and is suppose to get to 85 during the day. Thunderstorms tonight. Oh btw it is 3:30 in the morning. I have to be at work by 5:30. Stay warm. Love yaaaaaa!! AL

Leslie said...

Howdy Jennifer! I loved reading your blog! Wow! What an adventure. This is such an awesome experience for you :) I hope you have a fantastic time and look forward to keeping up with your blog. The pictures are great! Where in Antarctica are you? Andrew and I were looking on the globe. Have you seen any penguins yet?

Work hard but have fun! Love, Leslie

Mom said...

Hey Jennifer, just checked your blog and there's nothing new. I guess you are busy down there. Hope you are staying warm. Looks like you are going to have a heat wave by the end of the week. According to the weather web site it is going to be -7 by the end of the week. Guess it's time for the shorts.
I was looking at the map and it looks like the base is right on the edge of the ice. How close are you? Are you able to walk on it? Be Careful!!
Are the penguins just wandering around the base like a stray dog or do you have to go off to see them? What about other wildlife? What do you see down there?

Looking forward to more news and pictures.

Stay warm........Love Mom

helcat224 said...

Hey there,

I hope you're having a blast! The pictures are beautiful, but that temp is just way too cold for me! Your Steelers won, and so did my 'Skins. Woo hoo!!

Take care,

Helen

Aunt Linda said...

HI Jen,
Did ypu know the Water Gap is on fire? It has been burning since yesterday. Where is a firewomen when you need one?
AL

Melissa said...

Whoa!! I didnt know the Gap was on fire! Geez... Fer Fer you picked a bad time to leave!

Are there any polar bears down there? Walrus?

Mom said...

Hi Jennifer, Is the sun out all the time like it is in Alaska in the Summer?

Aunt Linda said...

OK, so what do we do now? Do we start writing on the new blog that she wrote? Then we can't have a running conversation. I am new to this blogging stuff and I think its kinda strange. Jennie, you didn't respond to any of our comments. Are you seeing this stuff or what?
AL