Saturday, October 6, 2007

Christchurch, NZ Day 2

I have to say…New Zealand is absolutely beautiful. I may actually have to retire here someday. The people are incredibly friendly, and the climate is wonderful. Today is a balmy 19C, (somewhere around the low 60’s for Americans), and I was able to wear a t-shit all day.

I woke up around 0800 or so, and the 4 of us at the hostel went to get breaky (breakfast). We went to a place called Oscar’s, and I got a platter of 2 eggs, 2 sausages, 2 rashers of bacon (which is Canadian bacon, by the way, not the stuff we’re used to), and a pile of toast. I also got some English Breakfast Tea, with milk, which was absolutely wonderful. Real tea. I went back to the hostel to do some laundry, while the other 2 girls went to the Pak-n-Save to get some supplies. The guy headed out to do some sightseeing, and after I put in my laundry and repacked some stuff, I headed out as well. I mostly did some window shopping in Cathedral Square, which is pretty much center city, and has all kinds of nifty kiosks and stores around. I ran back to put the laundry in the dryer, and then headed out again, and met up with the 2 other girls, and we did some more shopping. I picked up 2 patches that I’ll be sewing on my day pack.

We went back and I repacked the stuff I had washed, and we caught the shuttle for the Clothing Distribution Center (CDC). I got all my gear, and after a minimum of fuss, I got my stuff together. I came in at 73 lbs for checked luggage, 2 pounds under the weight limit. Then we headed back, and bummed around some more before heading for dinner at the Dux again. It was back to the hostel early, so I could get a shower and get to bed early, but the plans for a good night’s sleep was foiled by some really rude people in our room. They kept turning the lights on after it was clear there were several people sleeping, and making a lot of noise.

Here's what our dorm room looked like.


No comments: