Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Halloween Party

So last night was the big Halloween party. Quite likely the biggest party ever held on this base. I wish I could have taken pictures of all the costumes, because some of them were really really good. But it was so crowded, I just couldn't move, so I actually ended up leaving early. The gym was decorated really nicely, and the music was good, so if there were less people, I might have stuck around and hung out. And for the record, I didn't end up getting dressed up.

Here's a shot of the climbing wall, decorated for the evening.

However, here are some of the better costumes of the night (that I can put up on a work safe site. The rest you'll have to wait and see when I get home)

This is the McMurdo Scroll. On a couple of the channels we have scrolls, either the weather, transportation info (for people flying to Pole, field camps, or Cheech), what the movies and dinner is for the day, or just general info. He dressed up like a TV and had the scrolls going across the screen.

Here's a guy dressed as a Maori warrior. The Maori are the 'natives' of New Zealand. They really aren't indigenous, since they arrived on the islands of New Zealand from the Phillipines several hundred (thousand?) years ago (I guess their canoes got caught in some currents). But they settled, and they were there when the Europeans set foot on New Zealand.
This next guy had a really creative costume. He dressed up as the magazine cover that won the photographer a prize for best photo.

Here's Sloth, from The Goonies.


Some of the firefighters and friends dressed up as the cast from Firefly. And a close-up of 3 of the guys.

And here's 3 girls dressed up as Lindsday Lohan, Nicole Richie, and Paris Hilton.

I left right after the costume contest, but it was already about 10 by that time. I was tired, and not feeling very well. Of course, I couldn't get to sleep when I did try to go to bed.

1 comment:

Aunt Linda said...

Where do they get these costumes? Hard to believe there is a Party City down there.